Interview Questions Headline Animator

Friday, December 07, 2007

Something to live for...

When I joined Microsoft, a very long ambition was achieved. To a certain extent I felt like there was a lack of targets. Of course there is this target to grow, in the organization. Choose newer paths of knowledge, become smarter and better in whatever we are at. But besides that there is no shining star... Like Microsoft used to be before I joined.

Then I came up with the idea of writing a book. Which looked quite daunting... initially... because I didn't quite know what to write about. Well after some pondering I thought I should write about Engineering Excellence... and set myself a deadline that I should be done with the Table of Contents for the book by February... And should be able to get it ready for publishing before the end of 2008

After I decided this, my entire perspective while reading books changed... Previously I used to read them to learn a technology or a methodology... Now when I read them I also focus on the flow of the writing, the original intent of the writer, the language, etc... and it seems that it is going to take perhaps a little longer for me to finish this book than I originally thought...

And as Charles Petzold quotes about the do's and don't's of book writing, I think I will have to extend the deadline... I will perhaps start writing the book around end of December next year... I will need some preparation before I start off... Who's going to read my book if nobody really knows me... So let me grow technically, gain maturity and its fair that I give myself a chance to prove myself in this field before I take up something so challenging.

Besides I have a long long life... And Engineering Excellence isn't a subject that will die out soon...