Interview Questions Headline Animator

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Joomla… or should it be Zoomla…

I have been thinking of owning a website of my own for a long time. First web space was expensive. Not universally, but at least for me. Always thought, is it worth it? How am I justify the annual cost no matter how little. And then of course my salary wasn’t that big then.

Well by God’s grace I am doing pretty ok now. But since the last couple of years, I just didn’t have the time to do it.

I bought web space some 1 and a half year back. wrote a whiz bang application that would host a video invitation to my marriage. Yeah we wanted it to be different, so we made a video wedding invitation.

Anyways. I own a web space since then and I never had the time to create a portal out of it. Just the default page. And then one day I decided to go to godaddy.com and check out what my money buys me. And it turns out that it is more than just the space. I get a host of other products free with it. like Blogs, Emails, CMS, etc.

Honestly, I felt a little shy using the CMS initially. I being a developer should be able to write my own asp.Net application. I bought the damn windows hosting with .Net and everything. I should use it. But then I figured that having a CMS made website is better than not having one. Joomla is what I ended up using.

Usually I ramble about Microsoft Technologies here. But I have to tell you guys. joomla really is zoomla. Initially it might look confusing. But once you get a hang of it, you will have your website ready pronto.

I have mine ready in 1 day. It is called http://www.dasboard.in. It is not much. Not that I have built the next google or anything. But its something, and its there. All that waiting and all it takes is a day.