Interview Questions Headline Animator

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Time to start charting my career

I think i really need to start thinking about my next step now. The main reason being the change in the profile that i am going through. I haven't seen the face of Visual studio .Net since the last 3 weeks. I don't remember doing that ever in the last 3 years. And it is not that I am not working. In fact I am working my ass off. The main reason being what is the next thing I am going to be doing could be something that is remotely connected to anything technical and I don’t want to be doing anything that is not closely related to technology. All I have been doing lately is writing use cases and managing resources. Resources like setting up environment to set up environment and setting up conference calls.

Of course it is a bit too early to decide though. I am sure I wouldn’t be able to do anything that is related to technology in this project because the structure and the code in the project sucks. The code was initially written by a Russian company and the programmers didn’t have any idea regarding good code structure. There are only two tiers, no exception management, no separate data access layer, lots of hard coding, very tightly coupled code.

The only thing that we are going to be doing in this project is fire fighting and delivering on time to save our face. This is not a very extensible code and the quality of the deliverables are going to suck.

But what the hell I just need to focus on delivery, and get myself a promotion.